We already know about the Septic tank Process and the Problems. There are few things that you should keep out of your septic tank which may increase your system’s lifetime. Dropping these items into your system leads you to unnecessary pumping ( especially garbage disposal).
Some of these even make your system fail. Here is the general list which you have to keep out of your system.
- Garbage Disposal
- Soaps, detergents and fabric conditioners
- Fats and oil items
- Toxic cleaners
Garbage Disposal - We have already discussed about this. Although many people doing this again and again.
Why we have to keep out the garbage?
- Garbage disposal cannot be treated by the bacteria. So it simply settled down within our system where it occupies the capacity of the tank. Also some of the garbage disposal which escapes from the tank get clogged in your Outlet tee or in drain field pipes. It leads to system failure and costs you thousands of dollars to repair them. Regular garbage disposal means you have to pump your tank annually.
- Garbage disposal such as cigarette butts, dental floss, condoms are light weight which floats on the top with the scum. It will clog the outlet tee pipe. You have to replace them if it got damaged.
Garbage disposal = Problems with your system
Plastics – Unlike garbage disposal plastics affects your system at once. Plastics are light weight so they may float on the top
with scum and may accumulate into your outlet tee. Again the same thing, plastics are non biodegradable. So they can’t digest by the bacteria present in the tank. Avoid dropping plastic items in your system
Soaps and Detergents - Yes harmful soaps and detergents. Some of these are harmful to the bacteria which treat the effluent in the septic tank. Avoid using harmful detergents in the wash. Detergents tiny solid particles can clog in the drain field pipes. It is advisable to use liquid items while laundry.
Fats and oil items - We already know about the effect of oil items on the treatment process. Anyway, once again,
- Fats, oil and grease items which are harmful and kills the bacteria that used to handle the effluent in the tank.
- Also dropping oil items such as grease, paints may clog into your sewage pumps(In pressurized system) and affects the process.
Additives - Avoid additives completely. Some additive companies which advertise like this “Forget about septic tank pumping” are harmful to use in your system. Here is the detailed article about Additives – “Will additives really help?”
Toxic Cleaners - Using harmful cleaners on your toilets and kitchen leads to septic system failure.
Normally bacteria in the tank should recover quickly after using moderately harmful cleaners. But if you use toxic cleaners regularly then it should lead to some crucial septic tank problems.
How to know my household cleaners are toxic?
Here is a simple method to find out that (By EPA). Labels on the products will help.
Danger/ Poison – means highly hazardous (try to use minimum).
Warning – means moderately hazardous.
Caution – means lightly hazardous.
I think this article helps you little bit about “What to keep out of your septic tank?”. Help us to share…